Friday, March 27, 2009

What to Pack

So, like my being an over spender, I am also an over packer. Even after reading tons of lists and suggestions, and hearing to pack what you would and then take, I still over packed, but I'm glad I did because we really didn't have a chance to do laundry (though you could in Rome since we were there for two days or if you are doing Europe on your own, you could probably find more time than we had to do laundry) and I just felt better knowing I had enough to wear in case something happened. Unfortunately, I got rid of my list, but I can tell you the basics of what I packed for a winter tour and then also go ahead and post the recommended lists from Contiki that way you can see what a normal person might pack. If you are a person who tends to over pack or who needs to bring a lot, then I highly recommend buying space saver bags. I bought some from target.com and they were absolutely wonderful and gave me more room in my suitcase. I did end up being overweight on the way home, so if you buy a lot, I would also recommend buying a cheap suticase while you are in Europe. I also left quite a few things in Europe that I didn't want to bring home with me (such as a pair of rainboats and a travel pillow). Again, I took a lot, and some of what I took I never wore,but I am an over packer and I can't help it!

  • Underwear and socks: I took enough underwear for 14 days and I took 6 pairs of socks because I figured I could wear those twice and be okay
  • Pants: I took 4 pairs of jeans (1 I wore on the plane) and 1 pair of black pants for going out. I wish I had more pants because they were pretty dirty by the end of the trip
  • Tops: I took 10 day tops (so sweaters, tshirts, etc) but if you can get by with less thats awesome. You could just do 6 and wear them twice and then I took 6 night tops (tanks topd, tube tops, etc, for the clubs and bars) I didn't wear all of my night shirts, maybe 3 of them at most
  • Dresses: I brought two dresses one for new years and one for Moulin Rouge. I ended up only wearing one of them
  • Jackets: I brought 3. I had a long red peacoat, a northface fleece to go underneath the peacoat and a black northface rain jacket. I wore all three. It is really cold in Europe in winter. If you are from the US, its about the same temperature maybe a tad colder, if you are from anywhere else in the world, you will be freezing...bring plenty of layers and jackets
  • Shoes: I had three pairs (and picked up two more along the way) I had Uggs to keep my feet warm (I recommend these if traveling in the winter); a pair of going out heels; and a pair of rainboots. I used all three
  • Other Clothing: I also took two pairs of leggings to wear under my pants and I REALLY recommend doing this is you are traveling in the winter and I also had one belt with me and of course gloves, scarve and hat...because again, its cold.
  • Toiletries: General hygiene stuff such as shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, shower gel, shower cap, medicines (cough drops, aspirin, kleenex, cold medicine), hair dryer, diffuser, straightner, hair brush, jewelry, hair bands, razors, shaving gel, ear plugs and makeup. You can buy the travel size of stuff and will be pretty much fine. I brought full size and left it in Paris. I also bought a straightner that claimed to be dual voltage and was not so that died in Munich. I'm glad I brought my hair dryer and diffuser since my hair had to be curly all trip. Again, bring what you need.
  • Other stuff: Camera (DUH!) Memory cards(I brought two, a 1gb and a 2gb for just in case), Camera charger, converters, journal, book, travel pillow, ipod, ipod charger, travel alarm clock, international cell phone (good investment to have to call home and in case of emergencies; backpack and a belt money wallet...oh and don't forget copies of your passport, driver license, and insurance.
I strongly recommend bringing cough drops and medicine with you. Almost everyone got sick at somepoint and Contiki is famous for the Contiki cough. Everyone had to borrow stuff from me because I seemed to be one of the only people prepared. Again, pack what you need and be sure to pack for the weather. It's cold in the winter and it does rain and you will see snow. Below are Contiki's recommended packing lists. The first is winter and the second is summer.

Contiki Winter Recommendations:

Clothes

  • 1 rainproof jacket/small umbrella
  • 1 or 2 shorts/skirts
  • 1 thick sweater
  • 1 swimwear (some hotels may have pools)
  • 2 or 3 pairs of jeans
  • 2 or 3 T-shirts
  • Underwear (lots)
  • Socks (lots)
  • 2 or 3 casual shirts
  • Trousers
  • Dresses
  • 1 set of smart clothes (eg tie, blazer, jacket or suit for evenings out while on tour)
  • 1 thick, warm jacket
  • scarf, gloves and warm winter hat

Shoes

  • Comfortable walking shoes – waterproof if possible – snow is cold and wet
  • Thongs/flipflops/sandals
  • ‘Going out’ shoes

Toiletries

  • Toiletry bag
  • Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Deodorant
  • Make up, moisturizers and hair products
  • Suntan lotion – just because it’s cold doesn’t mean there is no sun
  • Handkerchiefs/tissues
  • Insect repellent
  • Lip balm

Miscellaneous

Contiki Summer Recommendations:

Clothes

  • 1 rainproof jacket/small umbrella
  • 2 or 3 shorts/skirts
  • 1 thick sweater
  • 1 or 2 Swimwear and beach towel
  • 1 or 2 pairs of jeans
  • 2 or 3 T-shirts
  • Underwear
  • Socks
  • 2 or 3 casual shirts
  • Trousers
  • Dresses
  • 1 set of nice clothes (eg going out dress, tie, blazer, jacket or suit for evenings out on tour)

Shoes

  • Comfortable walking shoes
  • Thongs/flipflops/sandals
  • ‘Going out’ shoes

Toiletries

  • Toiletry bag and contents
  • Aspirins/medications
  • Suntan lotion
  • Handkerchiefs/tissues
  • Insect repellent

Miscellaneous

No comments:

Post a Comment